As I’ve said before, I bought this bra specifically to alter. So here is what I did to alter the band.
First off I want to show the differences in length between this and the yellow Marcie in 30dd:
As you can see the raspberry is longer on both sides.
I pinned the bras so the seam behind the wire is lined up as well as the part of the band where the strap is attached.
Here you can see the excess fabric
So I just folded it over. (I was going the lazy route with this)
I pinned the excess fabric in place. * I attempted to try it on, but the pins started sticking me*
I measured the top and compared with both sizes.
The pink was 4 inches
The yellow was 4.25 inches
I hand sewed using the backstitch method. I actually did the stitching backwards. I wanted the neater part to be on the outside, but it was on the inside. I didn’t want to do that stitch in the first place, but it seemed like it would be stronger than doing a running stitch.
I thought the .25″ difference would be okay… But it wasn’t. The band was too tight.
A closeup of the alteration while wearing the bra.
Obviously the fit of the bra is better than it was originally, but the band was a little too tight. I was thinking about keeping it like that and just wearing an extender, but it just makes more sense for me to do it over and leave a little more fabric.
I took measurements, and unstretched the band is 22.75 unstretched (close to the unstretched measurement of the yellow), but stretched, it’s only 26.75, which is smaller than what I need/prefer.
I took out the stitching, and redid the while thing. It literally took my about 2 hours to re-stitch the bra. I kept getting knots in the thread, so I had to cut it and start over. When I sew by hand, I like to make sure I have enough thread, so that I don’t have to re-thread in the middle of my project, but I think I had too much thread.
I remeasured and got about 4.5″ this time (.25″ longer than the yellow Marcie)
When I re-stitched, I did it on the right side.
The new fit:
A closeup of the alteration while being worn
As you can see, on my smaller side there is some wrinkling in the cup, that can probably be fixed my tightening the strap a bit. The band is looser, perhaps a hair looser than what it should be, but I’m not redoing it.
Currently, the band unstretched is 23.5 inches, and 28 inches stretched
So, I would recommend anyone thinking about doing this to:
-if you can, measure out how much on each side you want to take out. I didn’t, and I could have saved myself 2 hours if I did.
-try the bra on when you have the pins in, before you start sewing. That way if it is too tight or too loose, you can fix it easily. Also place the pins on the outside of the bra (so they don’t stick you when you try them on)
but really, if you can, try to avoid doing this alteration altogether. Because while the bra fits me now, it doesn’t fit as well as a 30dd would/does. And one thing that most likely will end up bothering me with this particular bra, the gore is higher on 32d than it is on 30dd.
Unfortunately, I will have to do this again, because I have a 32d Freya doodle that I need to shorten.
I wore this bra today. (2/10/16) I wrote the post a few days ago… It wasn’t the most comfortable. It’s actually the most uncomfortable out of all the Marcie bras I have. The gore irritated me a good portion of the morning. I attempted to bend/push the wires forward (although I’m not entirely sure how to do that), and it did alleviate the pressure I was feeling, but when I looked down at my chest, it looked like one wire was where it was supposed to be, the other was resting on my tissue, like this _/
Also, on the left side where the alteration is, was stabbing me. 😕 It wasn’t bothering me on the right side, which is odd. I’m thinking I may have to add a piece of fabric. It was mainly irritating me at the top and the bottom of the band, where the thicker fabric was.